Southern California Edison, one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, delivering power to more than 14 million people in California, wanted to improve the performance of their analytics and reporting. The company decided to be one of the first companies to move onto SAP BW HANA. However, to reduce the costs of this move, the company would need to reduce the amount of data in the BW system first. Solution Dolphin helped the company implement an SAP data volume management strategy to prepare the company for the move to BW HANA. The strategy incorporated nearline storage to enable the company to control the growth of data in the HANA database and still enable fast access to archived data. Results The company deployed BW HANA with near-line storage to reduce total cost of ownership for moving to BW HANA and has achieved both one-time cost savings and on-going cost savings.
- Initial savings of 170 GB (25%)
- On-going yearly savings reduce DB growth on HANA (22%/yr.)
- Yearly growth on BW reduced from 34% to 12%
- On-going savings realized for HANA hardware, software & labor due to controlled DB growth
- Enabled company to see a return on investment from BW HANA in 2.5 years, rather than the predicted 15 years